Sunday 11 March 2012

That there inspiration

It's a wily thing. One minute it's there, the next it sneaks away with the speed of a thought ninja, leaving you with that look on your face that you only get when a wave of some unfathomable stench washes over your nose for an instance and you're left thinking 'Was that ME?'

It's safe to say I have all my best ideas at all the wrong moments. Although I've taken to carrying a small notebook with me to jot down words or ideas that smash into my brain like particles joyriding the LHC, I often find I'm without it at the times I need it. Like in the shower or halfway to the train station.

I have one of those brains that can craft something that sounds majestic. An idea, a piece of dialogue, a title, but unlike normal brains that pass information neatly from short term memory into the deeper parts of the mind, mine sneezes then notices something shiny.

It's part of the reason I've taken so well to writing. If I have these wonderful thoughts in front of a keyboard, they can be recorded post haste, however it never really seems to work like that. It's like the inspirational part of my brain waits for the most inopportune moment, that time when you sink into yourself and all external thoughts are null and void. Only then do I find the quiet I need to build something, to pick and choose the right word or phrase to make my meaning clear.

Then promptly forget it.




No comments:

Post a Comment